When your child is ready for a new doctor, we can help.
As we journey through life, we face many difficult and important decisions. At Dickson Medical Associates, we are committed to ensuring that everyone’s journey is a success and as seamless and smooth as possible. We recognize that transition can be scary and we have a wonderful support system available.
Using Our Expertise to Ensure a Smooth Transition
By the time your child is 18 years old, when suitable, our pediatric patients will be encouraged to begin taking part in an adult model of medical care. This will include taking responsibility for their own medical decision-making, scheduling appointments, consenting to medical care, and sharing their personal health information. For families with youth who need additional assistance, we encourage parents to apply for guardianship so they can continue to coordinate their child’s health care needs.
Pediatric Tips for Successful Transition
- Start planning the transition around the age of 18
- Plan to transition around the time they graduate from high school.
- Determine need for guardianship
- Talk with your pediatrician or pediatric nurse practitioner about transition
- Identify how your child or teen can be involved in their health care, if possible
- Make their own appointments
- Manage their own medications
- Carry an insurance card
- Obtain a care plan
- Talk to your child’s primary doctor and his pediatric specialty doctors about how to choose an adult primary doctor and adult specialty doctors